Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Learning is a Crockpot Dinner

I love to use my crockpots. Yep. I have and use more then 1 at a time. As a matter of fact I have 4 (different sizes) and a deep dish electric skillet. And I use these items all the time. Probably 4-5 days a week dinner is started at breakfast time in one or more crockpot or at lunch in my skillet. It takes all day and the house smells great all day too. (Up side to homemade cookin').

As I was making dinner yesterday, doing school, running errands and then coming home to a fully cooked meal, I realized that we are meant to learn like a crockpot cooks, not like a  microwave. And this afternoon when I had leftover spaghetti for lunch, I am sure thankful it is not like the microwave. (my pasta was HOT on top and still icy in the middle).

This goes for all kinds of learning, you need to be in it to get it. I am all about hands on, get yourself immersed in it to learn it kind of homeschool momma. If we are going to learn something we need to be invested to gain that knowledge or you end up with microwave learning, the all nighter just to pass a test, but 30 minutes after the test the knowledge is gone. This goes for reading, and we all know and do this with our kids. You want them to be good readers, you read to them, you have them read to you; over and over and over and over. So the concept is nothing new, but...

Do we give that much effort to God? One day a week in His presence, hearing His All-Powerful Word and that's it? OUCH!

That kind of hurt a little. This is the one subject you don't want to get wrong in the end. This is the one thing, you better be sure you understand when it comes down to it, and all we give is 30-45 minutes of a sermon and walk out and say "well, that was a good speech."

I have been there, done that. Not at first, mind you. At first I spent as much time as I could understanding His love for me. But truth be told, life happens and I got busy. Yep, I just said that. I was too busy for God. Too busy to bring my stress to Him.

Then I had Tylor. This baby faithfully woke up every morning at 4am and just wanted to be rocked. I remember complaining to my husband's grandma about this, hoping for some magic, grandma solution. That is not exactly what I got. But instead she said "pray." WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Is she nuts? that is what I was doing. I was praying this baby would go back to sleep for 2 more hours before his brother got up. Hmmmm maybe I didn't have the right heart as I "spent time with God."

So once my mind changed my heart changed and I got it. Time with God was just what I needed. I started praying during that 4 am rocking, and you know what? He still woke up every morning at 4am. (I have secretly thought maybe God would make him sleep so I didn't have to get up). HAHAHA NOPE! But as I spent more time in His presence, I had more energy and peace that filled my day.

So as you go through your day, remember to spend time in His Word with Him. Spend time learning like a crockpot and gain as much knowledge as you can because if you hide his word in your heart, it will come back to you when you most need it (Psalm 119:11). That only happens by you giving your time to Him and learning!

No comments: