Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Birthday!

Today is my 29th birthday and what better day to look back to all that has gone on the last 29 years.

A lot has happened in my life, some bad, mostly good, some exceptional, a couple amazing graces by the hand of God. But all in all, God has blessed me over and over again. I now see His hand in everyday activities, but it was not always that way.

For some reason today I have been thinking about the day I accepted Christ. I was 18, dating a guy, who I eventually married and just starting college. I went to youth group with Brook, and the worship leader gave his testimony. Not that Jim and I had anything the same happen in our lives, but I saw how Christ had not only changed who he was, but had changed his heart too. That night when he asked if anyone would like to ask God into their hearts, I bolted out of my seat. This was a message for me, my heart was beating so hard I thought everyone could see it.

Later that year my step dad left my mom for another woman. I look back now thinking, "wow, God, You start fast with the testing of faith." But I made it through. I went to college, got 2 degrees and joined the worship team. I was getting more and more involved in our church, when I decided to go to Israel with Pastor and a group of 30 people. This was the best thing I could have done. I knew what God wanted for my life. (Or so I thought)

In 2000 I went to school in Missouri for a semester program on becoming a missionary for children. I knew what I was going to do. Brook and I planned on getting married when I came home, then we were going to become full time missionaries.

But, sometimes we get in our own way. I found out I was pregnant that fall, and my whole world changed. Brook and I got married that winter, in my mom's livingroom. The next spring Alex was born. I thought that 1 sin had ruined my life. Not that I didn't love my baby, I did more then anything. But I felt so lost.

We moved back to California when Alex was 3 weeks old, 12 months later Tylor was born, and 18 months after that Melodey came along. Still feeling like I was not following what God had placed in my heart as a passion, I went to Him in prayer. "Where do you want me? What am I supposed to do? How can I do anything worthy of your divine plan?"

When Alex was 2 we decided that we would homeschool. With many opposition from family and friends, we stuck with it. I think now, that they thought this would pass :)

In 2006 I lost my best friend, my Papa! This was really hard for me, but also a wake up call. I had been working for my church for only a few months and was already feeling like something was off. But I kept with it thinking that it was just Satan trying to push me down. In September of 2007 I finally quit my job in Children's Ministries to be a full time at home homeschooling mom! Wow - God has really shown that this is where I am supposed to be. I was convicted to teach not all children, but my children, who Christ was!

That leads to today! One year ago last week I called my father, a man I had never met. It now is like we have never been apart when we are together or on the phone. I can see how God prepared my heart to meet him. To love him and to become his daughter for the first time.

So in 29 years, I have been Blessed, beyond all expectations!

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

Happy Birthday Nicole!

I came over from Creekside Cottage.

Keep up the great work with your homeschooling and encouraging of others...I was over at your homeschool blog first.

Becky K.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Happy Birthday, dear Nicole! Sorry I am a day late!

God works in such awesome ways, always at work on our behalf even when we don't realize it! Working all those little details!

Thank you for sharing! Your children are so blessed to have your and your husband realize the value that God places on our children!

As to the relatives, I think they will eventually just accept it, even though they may always think you are nuts!

We who home educate our children, understand and stand with you!

Have a wonderful weekend!