Friday, June 12, 2009

Our Names

I have often wondered how our names come to be. It says in the Bible that God knew our name before we were born. I was thinking about this because we loved naming our babies. But it was not easy. I wonder why God didn't just tell us the name right a way. Maybe He wanted us to have the fun of deciding. Having the fun of having a story later about their names.

Melodey's name was easy, we knew it when we first found out we were expecting Alex. Melodey Faith was going to be our daughter. Their wasn't arguing, or disagreeing, or even spending time pouring over baby name books. We both just knew!

Tylor took some time, all nine months. But the day before he was born we decided. The hardest part was deciding weather or not to have Jacob Tylor or Tylor Jacob. Ultimately, Tylor Jacob is what we decided. But God knew that would happen :o)

Alex on the other hand was NOT easy! We didn't find out what the sex of the baby was, so we needed 2 names :o) We had Melodey Faith if it was a girl, and for a boy....... hmmmm.... we just could not agree on one. And I wonder if the whole 9 months and 3 weeks if God was just smiling at us, while we poured over names trying to find the "perfect" one if we were having a boy. I think sometimes we make God just laugh.

So at 8 months we decided to name his Timothy Isaiah Rouge. Done! We had it! Then Alex was born! He came out and Brook looked at him and then at me and then brought the baby over the curtain to see me and we both looked at him and then each other and both agreed his name was NOT Timothy! And so the real challenge began.

We went back over all the names we had thrown out. We poured over family names, wondering if Allan or Andrew was better... NOPE! So then on the day we were leaving the hospital, Brook said, "Remember how you wanted Alexander?" Yes... I remember. It was the 1st name I came up with. "That name is too much for a little guy." Yeah, that was his argument to begin with, where is he going with this? "What about Alex?" I loved it! I threw in James (another on I picked early on that had be thrown out) and we had a name! Not just a name, but the name God knew Alex would have.

We started calling family and telling them the name. When we called Nana we found out her uncle's name is Alex James. WHAT!!!!! WOW!!!! We thought that was very cool. Tomorrow Alex gets to meet 93 year old Alex James and he is more than thrilled knowing they share a name! How awesome to see!

God picks out some great names! I look at my children now and can't imagine them named anything differently! Melodey Faith, Tylor Jacob and Alex James! Even mine and my husband, Nicole Elice and Brook Allan. Or even my father in law, who always says he wasn't wanted and his parents just looked in a phone book for his name and he doesn't have a middle name. Just Allan, God knew and planned it all out! He is amazing!

No comments: