Kids are supposed to be kids, not mini adults. As I write that I can hear some of you sighing. That is the stance I have always taken with my children. My thought is "they will only be this age for 12 months." That's it. After that, they will never be that age again. DUH! I know that is an obvious thought, but if it is so obvious, why do we expect our children to become mini adults right away? Why can't my 3 year old be 3? or my 9 year old be 9?
I started this "against the grain" journey when I first had Alex. Everyone told me to put him down, let him sleep without being held, let him cry. I didn't like that. I knew then, holding my little boy that he was only going to be this tiny for so long and then he was going to be rolling over and sitting and crawling and even walking. I can even remember telling this lady, who had told me it was good for them to cry so they could become independent sleepers, that rocking them with they are little is fine, he was going to be going to kindergarten before I knew what happened and I wanted to hold him every minute I could. (She told me I would have a brat on my hands - guess she wasn't a very secure person, cause he is far from a brat). Unlike all my babies, who knew I would always rock them... and still do when they come curl up on Momma's lap to cuddle. Yep, at age 12, 11, 9 and 2 they all want some momma cuddles. And I am good with that.
Children need to be the age they are, or they will miss out. Now I am not saying they should throw fits and be bratty, but be children, YES!
Children should be encouraged to use the imagination that God gave them without having to worry about if they are acting their age. I know for moms and dads, this makes things a lot harder. Yes, it would be easier if they were just quiet and clean and orderly all the time, but let's face it... that is NOT fun!
Children need to learn responsibility, but not at the expense of their childhood. Just because I expect my children to be polite, does not mean I expect them to be silent. Children need to run and laugh and dare I say, use their "outside voices." I know, crazy!!!!
So yes, my house is not perfectly clean or for that matter quiet. (We happen to live with 4 children and all too often there are more here.) So the toy box gets dumped out looking for just the right car to race down the hall, or all the baby clothes get wrestled around looking for the one that fits that baby doll. Yep the legos get dumped on the bedroom floor so they can see all the pieces and find just the right one and yep there is my good serving spoon in the back yard, where my farmer/daughter decided she was going to plant some orange seeds to see if it would make her an orange tree.
Most days there is mud in the bathroom sink, where hands got washed. There is always laundry and dishes going and most days my house smells like a combination of cookies and play dough.... and I am not sure what that other smell is. ;)
Life is messy and should be fun. Finger paint should be painted with and rain puddles are meant to be jumped in. Learning to make their own lunch, may result in spilled milk and jelly on the fridge door, but that is what napkins and wash clothes are for. They all need to learn by doing and experimenting. Don't crush that by making them be perfect little adults. (And if you need to.... go jump in a rain puddle yourself and free the rain drops). Remember what it was like to play as a kid, and let yours be a kid for as long as they can....all too soon, they will be adults and need to be in control of their "outside voices" and dumping out the files at work to find Joe's receipt wont work, so let them do it now.
1 comment:
(:
Post a Comment