Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Holy Week Fun Times

I love the week leading to Easter. We always have such a good time. Yesterday we did our shopping and cleaning. We spend the day talking about cleansing the temple and our house gets a big cleaning done.

Today is Tuesday and we will spend today making Easter Bread. This may be my Children's favorite part. I normally make bread in the bread machine (everyday due to the fact that Mel can't have the milk that is in store bought bread). So when I make Easter Bread the children actaully get to knead the bread and fold it into circles. Then we dye raw eggs and place them inside the bread and bake it. The children love the sweet bread and hard cooked eggs. This makes 10 loaves so we can give some away too.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, we dye our eggs. The children loves this! And while we dye them, I tell them how the eggs show new life in Christ and like a chicky breaking free from the egg, Christ broke free from the hands of death. It seems to be a good visual. Normally we go to a local farm and see some chickens that have just hatched their eggs. But Easter being so early this year we can't see any new chicks. :( But we will still have the fun of telling about them.

Thursday we have a Passover dinner and foot washing. This is a lot of fun for me. I went to Isreal in 1999 and learned how the whole Passover reflects the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus. So this is the day I teach this to my family. It is a beautiful dinner and special time where daddy serves the children by washing their feet just as Jesus did for His disciples.

Friday being Good Friday, we will naturally talk about the death of Jesus. I have the Resurrection Eggs that we do at this time as well. We get things ready for the weekend.

Saturday is pretty laid back. Just making sure our church stuff is ready and then that night we do the Easter cookies and tell the story. The next morning you pull them out of the oven and they are hollow cookies.

And Sunday is Easter. Praise the Lord! A really fun day of Church, lunch with grandma and popi and an egg hunt (I pray no rain), then a big Easter dinner and board games with grandma and popi.

I hope all of you have a great week too! Blessing through Jesus to you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am Mrs. Rabe's SIL. I really like what you are teaching your family this week.

What are you telling them during the foot washing? This sounds intertesting as we just read through this in our Beth Moore study....

gatheringoffriends@yahoo.com